Thanks for visiting my website! I’m a UIMLA International Mountain Leader, who specialises in guiding groups mountain running (trail and fell) and teaching mountain safety skills (avalanche training, navigation, steep ground, etc).
I’m based in the Lake District, and spend a few months each year in the Chamonix region of the French Alps. As well as guiding, I’m a Dip.PT personal trainer, award-winning trail running book author and outdoor writer.
Mountain running and ultra-trail races have been a big part of my life for the last decade. I’m a Tor des Géants finisher, and multiple UTMB ultra-trail survivor (6 series finishes). Mountain running is a fascinating sport, and I’ve never discovered a discipline with such highs and lows, where you learn so much about yourself. I’m happiest when moving fast and light in the mountains, exercising in the best gym in the world!
I’ve previously climbed at quite a high level, including ascents of the North Faces of the Eiger, Matterhorn and Grandes Jorasses. My first visit to the Alps for mountaineering was in my late teens, and making an unguided ascent of Mont Blanc, since when the area has effectively become a second home to me for a few months guiding each year.
My guiding career as an International Mountain Leader, has increasingly focused onto the following areas of expertise and interest…
- Mountain running on Lake District fells, and Alpine trail running. I work with people on their running skills and techniques, biomechanics, efficiency, and adapting to running on mountain terrain.
- Safety skills of navigation, moving on steep ground, adapting to the terrain and weather, in summer and winter conditions. I don’t make mountain navigation the ‘black art’ it’s made out to be, but accessible and practical.
- Avalanche training is a large part of my winter work, coaching people on how to route select in avalanche prone terrain, awareness and safety, using avalanche transceivers, and organising searches and rescues.
- Snowshoeing guiding in the Alps is a part of my work that I have great local knowledge of. I guide single days, weeks, and bespoke courses. My preferred base for snowshoeing guiding, is Chamonix in the French Alps.
- Personal trainer work with a select group of people training for mountain endurance events, including plans and personal coaching.
I’ve been guiding for nearly two decades already, and look forward to sharing some of the best places I know in the Lake District and Alps. Get in touch with your plans!